Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204824

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987



Ordnance survey map of MARKET CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204824 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 14:40:38.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire (District Authority)

Parish: Melbourne

National Grid Reference: SK3862125185


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SK 38/3925 PARISH OF MELBOURNE MARKET PLACE 6/138 (South Side) Market Cross GV II Market cross. 1889 by James Wright with alterations, dated 1953, restored 1977. Ashlar and timber with hipped plain tile roof. Large central stone pier has moulded base with wooden bench attached, all round. Above there are blind C12 style semi-circular headed niches to all except the south side, with scalloped capitals, nookshafts and moulded arches, plus continuous impost band and hoodmoulds. West side has the inscription 'Erected 1889' within the niche and the north side has an inset brass plaque recording the fact that the monument was erected by public subscription to celebrate Victoria's Jubilee. Beneath this is a short history of Melbourne. The south side has another brass plaque recording that the timber shelter was erected in 1953 and that the monument and shelter were restored in 1977. Above the arches there is a wide moulded cornice and above again is an octagonal stone spire with a lamp to the top. Attached to the top of the cornice, a wide timber shelter has been erected with three large posts to each side.

Listing NGR: SK3862125185


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 83122

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing