LITTLE JERICHO

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204867
Date first listed:
13-Mar-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
LITTLE JERICHO, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE JERICHO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204867 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 18:31:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
LITTLE JERICHO, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green
National Grid Reference:
TL 60341 01732

Details

BLACKMORE

TL6001 CHURCH STREET 723-1/15/9 (East side) 13/03/72 Little Jericho (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD CHURCH STREET, Blackmore (East side) Little Jericho)

GV II

House. c1600, extended in early C17, early C19 and C20. Timber-framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 3 bays facing approx W with central stack, forming a lobby-entrance plan, with stair tower to rear of middle bay. 2 storeys and originally occupied attics. C18 outshuts to each side of it, forming catslides with the main roof, and C18 external stack to right. C20 single-storey extension to rear left, with hipped roof of machine-made red clay tiles. 2-storey porch added early in C17. Ground floor, two C19 tripartite sashes of 4:16:4 lights. First floor, three C20 casements. Early C19 6-panel door with flat canopy on profiled brackets. A bay window has been added to each side of the porch in recent years. Simple parapet with moulded wooden cornice. The porch and stair tower have hipped roofs. Jowled posts, primary straight bracing, heavy studding, edge-halved and bridled scarf in rear wallplate. INTERIOR: the ground-floor rooms have axial beams with deep chamfers and large lamb's tongue stops, with plain joists of vertical section; the left end of the left beam is supported on a brick pier. The studding of the rear wall of the right lower room has been removed. The large wood-burning hearth to left has an inserted mantel beam with lamb's tongue stops, below the severed original mantel beam, both ends of which remain in situ; the 0.33m brick jambs have been re-faced. Right hearth much altered. C20 brick nogging is used internally as decor. Similar floors above. Butt-purlin roof with joggled purlins, in 3 bays above each room. The original newel stair is largely intact to the attics, altered near the bottom. HISTORICAL NOTE: the siting, near the church and on land connected with Jericho Priory (qv), the height and general character, suggest this house was built as a vicarage by John Smyth, owner of Jericho Priory from 1594 to 1621. (Morant P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex: 1768-: 57).

Listing NGR: TL6034101732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373317
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 57

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01152/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Brealey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].