CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204871.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 17:04:24.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Holland (District Authority)
- Tydd St. Mary
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 44611 18591
TYDD ST. MARY CHURCH LANE
TF 41 NW
7/101 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restored 1869. Ashlar, coursed rubble, red brick and render. Lead and slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and chancel. Parapets to north aisle and chancel. Buttressed. Tower, nave, aisles, south porch and chancel. Angle buttressed C15 tower in the main of brick, set on a moulded ashlar plinth with embattled brick parapet with single gargoyle to each side, the east side, however, with 2. Topped with ashlar octagonal spire with 2 stages of 2 light traceried lucarnes and single stage of single light lucarnes. Tower of 3 stages with bands and with stair turret to south east. West side with moulded arched C15 doorway with hood mould, worn label stops and brick relieving arch. Flanking the head are single arched and cusped ashlar niches containing single C20 carved figures. Single ashlar shields in cusped rectangles under. Single similar niche and figure over the doorway but with hood mould and finial, the band rises here to accommodate the niche. The south side has a single small arched and cusped light. Above to the west side, is a single C14 arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and worn human head label stops. The south and north sides have single rectangular lead glazing bar fixed lights with brick relieving arches. 4 arched bell chamber openings each with 2 arched and cusped lights, cusped tracery, hood mould and worn human head label stops, under the west opening is a single clock face. The stair turret of 3 stages has a four-centred arched doorway to the south side, the west side has 4 narrow rectangular lights. The north aisle with continuous sill band, being broken by the doorway and buttresses and damaged to the west wall. North wall has a single C14 window with 3 arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a C14 moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. Further left is a single restored C14 segmental arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, the single central light with brattished transom and arched and cusped light under. Hood mould and label stops. On the far left is a single blocked C16 brick and ashlar window with 3 arched lights and tracery. In the re-entrant angle between the east buttress and the north aisle north wall is a single ogee arched and cusped niche under a flat arch. The east wall has a single heavily restored early C14 arched 2 light window with cusped Y tracery. The C15 rendered brick clerestory has 5 segmental pointed arched windows each with 2 arched and cusped lights, some tracery, hood mould and label stops. The chancel is set on a low chamfered plinth and has a continuous sill band. The north side with 2 worn gargoyles has a single restored early C14 arched window with cusped Y tracery as, hood mould and C19 label stops. To the left is a single 3 light early C14 arched window with cusped intersecting tracery, hood mould and human head and animal label stops. The east chancel has a single large C19 arched 5 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and human head and animal label stops. The south chancel with 2 gargoyles has a single 3 light early C14 arched window with cusped intersecting tracery, hood mould and human head label stops. To the left is a single blocked arched window with hood mould and worn C14 label stops. Further left is a moulded arched doorway, the sill band forming a hood mould and a single early C14 arched window with cusped Y tracery, hood mould and worn label stops. On the far left is a moulded rectangular blocked window opening, the sill band forming a hood mould. The south aisle with continuous sill band broken by the buttresses and porch has in the south wall 2 heavily restored 3 light C14 windows each with arched and cusped lights and cusped tracery under a flat arch. To the left is the gabled porch with sundial mounted onto the ridge. Double chamfered arched entrance, inner order supported on single pair of octagonal responds. Inner moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops. To the left is a single similar 3 light window. Clerestory corresponds to the north, but is not rendered. Interior. 5 bay C13 nave arcades with circular columns and responds, moulded capitals with some unfinished decoration. Spurs to bases and double chamfered arches. Hood moulds with some human head label stops to the nave side. Chamfered and moulded tower arch supported on circular responds with fillets, brattishing to capitals. Outer uncut brick arch. C14 double chamfered chancel arch supported on octagonal responds with moulded capitals. C19 traceried screen. The north wall of the chancel incorporates C12 zigzag masonry. Continuous sill band/hood mould to doorway, window openings with hood moulds and label stops, in the main human head. Early C14 double piscina to south wall with 2 arched and cusped niches with decorative blind tracery to the spandrel, continuous hood mould with right human head label stop. To the right is the early C14 tripartite sedilia with inner arched and cusped order and outer moulded arches with moulded jambs and bases. Continuous hood mould with human head label stops. To the right of the north east respond in the nave is a 4 centred arched blocked former rood loft doorway. Over is a single opening under a flat head. South aisle with C14 ogee arched and cusped piscina. East wall with corbel being the remains of C12 volute capital. West wall of south aisle with basket arched doorway and C18 plank door. C15 font with octagonal bowl, the panels decorated with angels holding shields. C17 oak chest. Some old floor tiling. C15 nave roof with moulded and chamfered beams and curved braces. Some moulded beams to aisle roofs. Memorials. Incised late C14 slab to William de Tide, of knight with sword, dagger and lion at feet. Incorporated within the north wall are fragments of a C15 tomb chest with cusped rectangles contanining single shields. Good memorial to Sir Olement Trafford, 1786. The inscription tablet flanked by fluted pilasters, fluted entablature with cornice surmounted by a coloured cartouche with coloured shield on the apron. A good memorial to Iohannis Trafford, 1719, by Walton of Wisbech. The draped tablet being flanked by single cherubs. Acanthus decorated apron and broken pediment containing an urn. Fine memorial to Sigismond Trafford, 1740, the tablet flanked by turned down torches and foliate drops which support decorative brackets. Decorated cornice with draped portrait medallion over. Apron with worn coloured shield. That to Thomas Sharpe, 1781, by Andrews of Wisbech, with decorated apron and fluted entablature with patera, cornice surmounted by an urn.
Listing NGR: TF4460718588
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing