GATE PIERS AND WALLS TO SOUTH WEST AND WEST OF SOUTH GARDEN AND WALL, GATE PIERS, MOUNTING BLOCKS AND DOG KENNEL TO SOUTH AND WEST OF MANOR HOUSE AT BURTON AGNES HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204905
Date first listed:
17-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
GATE PIERS AND WALLS TO SOUTH WEST AND WEST OF SOUTH GARDEN AND WALL, GATE PIERS, MOUNTING BLOCKS AND DOG KENNEL TO SOUTH AND WEST OF MANOR HOUSE AT BURTON AGNES HALL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATE PIERS AND WALLS TO SOUTH WEST AND WEST OF SOUTH GARDEN AND WALL, GATE PIERS, MOUNTING BLOCKS AND DOG KENNEL TO SOUTH AND WEST OF MANOR HOUSE AT BURTON AGNES HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 18:12:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATE PIERS AND WALLS TO SOUTH WEST AND WEST OF SOUTH GARDEN AND WALL, GATE PIERS, MOUNTING BLOCKS AND DOG KENNEL TO SOUTH AND WEST OF MANOR HOUSE AT BURTON AGNES HALL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burton Agnes
National Grid Reference:
TA 10246 63234

Details

BURTON AGNES MAIN STREET TA 1063-1163 (north side, off)

11/20 Gate piers and walls to south-west and west of South Garden and wall, gate piers, mounting blocks and dog kennel to south and west of Manor House at Burton Agnes Hall.

GV II

Walls, gate piers, mounting blocks and dog kennel. Early C17 with later additions and alterations including those of c1730 and mid C20, dog kennel of 1859. Pinkish-red brick in English garden wall bond with ashlar and brick dressings. Walls approximately 3 metres high, mainly with rubbed brick plinth, dentilled cornice and rubbed brick copings, bell-shaped on section, otherwise with flat or chamfered ashlar coping. Wall to south of South Garden has been raised and abutts Gatehouse (qv). Wall to west of South Garden has inserted but now blocked C18 pedestrian entrance with moulded ashlar architrave; entrance to stable yard has rebuilt gate piers, square on plan, with moulded ashlar plinths, replacement moulded ashlar cornices and pineapple finials, double ornamental wrought-iron gates between. Wall to south of Manor House has gate piers to each end, square on plan with moulded ashlar bases and cornices, those to west have ball finials on shaped bases, those to east are surmounted by winged eagles. 2 ashlar mounting blocks of 3 and 5 steps abutt to south; between these is an ornamental dog kennel with plaque inscribed "HB 1859" built for Henry Boynton: ashlar plinth, quoined jambs to blind entrance with moulded hood and mask keystone, shaped gable surmounted by finials. Wall to west of Manor House ramps upwards above C18 pedestrian entrance, an 8-fielded-panel door in ashlar architrave with keystone. To north end, an elliptically-arched, blocked entrance.

Listing NGR: TA1027563220

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
167776
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01202/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr David Drury. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].