ST JOHN'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204936
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S HOUSE, MARKET HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST JOHN'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204936.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 06:59:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST JOHN'S HOUSE, MARKET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckingham
National Grid Reference:
SP 69564 34034

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 MARKET HILL 879-1/5/101 (North side) 13/10/52 St John's House

GV II

Former schoolmaster's house, latterly restaurant. C15, substantially rebuilt in 1695 and altered C20. Originally timber-framed to 1st floor, rebuilt to front in red brick in Flemish bond, ground floor of coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble, plain-tile roof and brick end stacks. 3-unit plan. 2-storey, 4-window range. 6-panel door to left with overlight and wood lintel, flanked by C20 bay windows with hipped plain-tile roofs. A pair of wood mullion and transom windows to ground floor right of centre with wood lintels. Similar windows to 1st floor. 1st-floor storey band, deep chamfered limestone eaves and 3 hipped roof dormer windows. Coursed squared limestone end walls, appearing to left as quoins. Rear wall of uncoursed limestone rubble to ground floor, and timber-framed 1st floor with red brick infill. INTERIOR: moulded spine beam to left ground floor room and large inglenook with bressumer. The building is attached to the north end of The Old Latin School (qv). It was rebuilt after a fire at the cost of Alexander Denton for use as a house for the Master of the Royal Latin School.

Listing NGR: SP6956434034

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377201
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08130/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].