Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204948.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 19:18:19.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Carlisle (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NY 39663 71613



14/12 Netherby Hall 1.4.57

G.V. II*

House. C15 tower house, extended or altered in 1639 for Sir Richard Graham (reused datestone with initials RG over entrance to left); late C18 additions for Rev Robert Graham, with further extensions of 1833 for Sir James Graham by William Burn. Tower, enclosed by later buildings, has walls over 2 metres thick, thought to be of stone from the nearby Roman fort; extensions of red sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth with flush quoins, string courses, moulded cornice and solid parapets; slate roofs, numerous stone chimney stacks. 3 storeys, numerous bays; Scottish Baronial style extensions. C19 polygonal 3- storey entrance tower has 3-panel double doors with radial fanlight in round moulded arch with false keystone; alternate block pilasters with moulded entablature and cornice, surmounted by carved coat of arms. 2-pane sash windows in moulded shouldered architraves with false keystones and triangular open pediments with decorative cartouche. 3-storey tower to right is the original house with C19 facing. Niche with carved stone figure of knight in armour on ground floor; oriel 2-pane sash window above; corbelled-out parapet with round angle turret, crow stepped gable with carved coat of arms and triple candlestick chimney stacks. Lower flanking wings have 2-pane sash windows in alternate block surrounds and false keystones. Old Servants Hall to extreme right of 2 storeys, 3 bays, has 6-panel door in round arched recess with alternate block surround and triangular open pediment; 2 crow-stepped dormers with domed circular turrets. C18 garden front of 2 storeys, 5 recessed bays with flanking 2-storey canted bay windows. Large 2-pane ground floor sash windows, single- pane sashes above, in similar alternate block surrounds as entrance front; attic oculi. Flanking l½; storey, 3-bay wings with lead-hipped graduated green slate roofs; central window and rounded window above in round arched recess, all in plain surrounds. Interior has mid-late C18 moulded plasterwork in recesses and ceilings; C18 panelled doors in moulded wooden architraves with triangular moulded pediments. Tower retains its newel staircase. Interior alterations by H.J. Harding 1937, of ground floor of tower. Reused C17 carved Flemish panelling in hall and dining room, with C19 heavily moulded ceiling by William Burn. Armorial stained glass in hall by Willement, 1836. Burn's drawings for Netherby are in RIBA collection. See Country Life, 21 & 28 January 1949 pp.142-5, pp.198-201.

Listing NGR: NY3966371613


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 21 January, (), 142-145
'Country Life' in Country Life, (), 198-201


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11137/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].