CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205151

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205151 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 00:04:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 62090 70784

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST6270 CHURCH HILL, Brislington 901-1/49/452 (South side) 08/01/59 Church of St Luke

GV II*

Church. C15, N arcade and aisle remodelled 1819, E end 1874 by B Ferrey. Coursed red and grey Pennant rubble with ashlar dressings and stone-coped slate roofs. Aisled nave with chapels flanking chancel, S porch and W tower. Perpendicular Gothic style. 3-light E window with cinquefoil heads and intersecting tracery. Offset diagonal buttresses to chancel and aisles. NE chapel has hoodmould over restored 3-light E window and label mould over 2-light cinquefoil-headed N window. SE chapel has a hoodmould over 3-light window with cinquefoil ogee heads. 4-bay N aisle with hoodmoulds over 3-light windows with cinquefoiled ogee heads; similar tall E window. S aisle, relatively unrestored, has C15 offset buttresses and moulded plinth; hoodmoulds over 3-light Perpendicular windows with cinquefoil heads and panel tracery. Plinth continues around C15 porch, with crocketed pinnacles surmounting clasped diagonal buttresses: late C19 doors set in pointed moulded arch with engaged shafts to inner order and crocketed ogee canopy to hoodmould; cross to moulded coping; tall C15 three-light window with cinquefoil ogee heads and restored jamb. Fine 3-stage W tower with string courses and diagonal offset buttresses surmounted by crocketed pinnacles: late C19 west door set in pointed moulded arch flanked by diagonally-set shafts with worn angels holding shields; crocketed ogee hood beneath 3-light window; second stage has hoodmould over 2-light W window and one-light N window, all cinquefoil headed; belfry has similar 2-light louvred windows and figures of a couple in hollow-chamfered ogee-headed niche to S; gargoyles to cornice beneath crenellated parapet with blind panel tracery and figures set in fine ogee-headed canopies; octagonal ashlar stair turret to the SE with a crocketed spire to the stair turret. Clock and weathercock. INTERIOR: late C19 Decorated reredos, piscina, sedilia and biblical texts in crocketed canopies flanking E window. Late C19 archway with engaged NE vestry; late C19 archway with ogee tracery and C15 archway with panelled east intrados and inner arch of 3 orders with bell capitals to engaged shafts to S chapel. 5-bay nave of pointed arches, with piers having 4 attached shafts to bell capitals. Arch-braced roof to the nave and the S aisle, the latter bearing on corbels to the arcade. FITTINGS: square font on cushion capital and thick, round shaft. Octagonal oak Jacobean pulpit, with classical panels. C19 square-ended pews and choir stalls. MEMORIALS: tomb slab to Thomas Newman, d.1542, wall plaques to George Braikenridge, d.1856 and his family, and 3 urn plaques to the Ireland family from 1805. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 65; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 464).

Listing NGR: ST6209070784

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379146

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 65
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 464

End of official listing