CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1205179
Date first listed:
19-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 19:30:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Church Broughton
National Grid Reference:
SK 20533 33767

Details

SK 23 SW; 3/10

PARISH OF CHURCH BROUGHTON, MAIN STREET (north side)

Church of St Michael and All Angels

19.1.67

GV

I

Parish Church. C12, early C14, C15, early C18 and 1845. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth. Low-pitched C15 lead roofs with stone coped gables. West tower, aisled nave with south porch and chancel.

The west tower has angle buttresses with three set-offs and a north-east stair turret, polygonal and semicircular. The ground stage has a C14 cusped ogee lancet with hoodmould to south, a 2-light window with Y-tracery set in chamfered surround to west, and 2-light cusped Dec bell-openings to all faces. Battlements with large gargoyles and C19 circular pinnacles. Stone spire with a single tier of lucarnes. C14 roof line visible on the east face of the tower. C19 gabled south porch. The south aisle has four buttresses and two 2-light C14 windows with cusped ogee tracery, renewed in the right hand window. South aisle east window of three cusped lancet lights, like the tower west window, probably of c1300. C15 clerestory with three plain early C18 2-light mullioned windows. The south side of the chancel has three buttresses with two set-offs, and from left to right, a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with re-used C14 cusped tracery, set in a chamfered surround. Below is a renewed cusped ogee tomb recess with quatrefoil frieze on the tomb chest. Priests doorway with two moulded orders , and two 2-light cusped ogee windows in chamfered surrounds. String course beneath the window. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. The north side of the chancel has three buttresses and three 2-light windows, as on the south side. North aisle east window of c1300, similar to the south aisle east window. North aisle north wall rebuilt in ashlar in 1845, with two 2-light windows similar to those on the south side. Clerestory on south side. South doorway with roll and hollow mouldings and moulded imposts.

THE INTERIOR has a triple-chamfered tower arch, the outer order dying into the imposts. Early C14 four bay arcades with circular piers, double-chamfered arches, moulded polygonal capitals, and semicircular responds. The western-most piers are broader, the two semicircular responds with a piece of wall between, and have re-set grotesque figures. The north-east respond is C12 with scalloped capital. C19 chancel arch in Early English Style. In the south wall of the chancel. early C14, stepped sedilia with cusped ogee arches and a similar piscina. Re-set C14 head corbels left and right of the east window. Small trefoil window on south side of chancel looking into the external tomb recess. Cusped piscina with fluted drain, in the south aisle. C12 tapering tub font, with bold motif of zigzag and intersecting circles. Similar to one at Somersal Herbert.

Monuments: Chancel north c1839 by Hall of Derby, a marble tablet with draped urn on a slate obelisk back plate. Brass memorial tablet, chancel north, c1904 by Jones & Willis. Marble and slate tablet, chancel south, c1832 signed Hollins,Engr.Rocester.

Stained glass in the east window 1904 by Hardman. Pulpit of 1750 with raised and fielded panels. Painting, in the south aisle of George IV's coat of arms, 1827. Benefaction boards in the west wall, dated 1728.

Listing NGR: SK2052833765

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82664
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07276/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].