OLD HARBOUR ANTIQUES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205211
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
OLD HARBOUR ANTIQUES, 21, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD HARBOUR ANTIQUES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 18:31:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD HARBOUR ANTIQUES, 21, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Tendring (District Authority)
Parish:
Harwich
National Grid Reference:
TM 26018 32678

Details

HARWICH

TM2632NW MARKET STREET 609-1/2/100 (North West side) 25/09/51 No.21 Old Harbour Antiques

GV II

Shop and flat, late C16 and early C19. Timber-framed with brick front, pebbledashed with Welsh slate low pitched roof. Front range 3 storeys with 2-window range of double-hung sashes with 2 vertical glazing bars on 2nd floor and margin glazed on first floor. Ground floor has C19 shop front with faience pilasters, stallrisers and on flank of entrance with pictorial panel depicting apple picking. Hardwood shop front with vent grille, turned mullions and arched heads. Etched glass on door with 'Smith' and vase of flowers and vegetables. Rear block is of 2 storeys and attic storey with gabled roof of clay plain tiles. Suffolk verge boards and double-hung sash windows with small panes. Ground floor part-jettied with former open rear arcade. INTERIOR: front range has early C19 staircase with column newels. First-floor room has ornate C19 cornice and ceiling rose and marble fireplace with tile inserts. Doorway at rear of shop has head formed of 2 jetty brackets, one with deer carved in spandrel and one with pelican. Supporting the latter is post with full-length female figure, crowned and holding mirror and shield charged with a fesse nebuly. The letters OENS or DENS are inscribed below. Other jamb a reused fascia with running trail ornament of pomegranates. On the stairs is part of a fascia board, with adorned, bearded human-headed leopards with a cartouche inscribed E.C. 2-storeys-and-attics rear range has frame of 2 large bays and narrow bay. Latter formed open passage on NW side supported at its centre on a chamfered post. At NE end a contemporary arched door head supported on corner post with bearded male 'Elizabethan' figure with crown and sword. (Probably female figure formed other jamb.) Doorhead has 2 lamb-like creatures carved and central cartouche with date inscribed 1588. The NE side was jettied and surviving corner bracket has, in spandrel, a crowned male figure with sceptre standing in pulpit-like structure. The frame has stop-chamfered spine beams and bridging joists, jowled posts carrying end tie beams and one near centre. Roof of 3 bays, unrelated to storey posts, 'A' framed with lodged side purlins and arched wind bracing. Truncated brick stack on SW flank. (RCHME: Essex NE: London: 1922-: 136 (25)).

Listing NGR: TM2601832678

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366608
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922), 136

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07936/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Wilfred N. Winder. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].