3, WELL STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205288

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: 3, WELL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 3, WELL STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205288 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 20:56:55.

Location

Statutory Address: 3, WELL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Buckingham

National Grid Reference: SP 69597 33865

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 WELL STREET 879-1/6/151 (West side) 13/10/52 No.3

II

Formerly known as: No.3 Meeting House of Plymouth Brethren WELL STREET. Nonconformist chapel, formerly meeting house, now garage. Built 1726, enlarged early C19 and altered C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings to front, body of coursed limestone rubble, and hipped plain-tile roofs concealed by parapet to front. Rectangular plan. 2-storey, 3-window front. Wide central C20 garage entrance with double-leaf doors, flanked by windows with round-arched heads and raised stone surrounds with imposts. Small, leaded panes to heads in fanlight pattern. C20 three-light window below stepped stone sill of window to left. Sill of window to right has been cut by C20 glazed door, approached by 3 stone steps. Windows to 1st floor have small, leaded panes, raised stone surrounds with segmental-arched heads with key blocks and stepped stone sills. Partly rendered coursed squared limestone plinth. Central bay breaks forward slightly and has stepped stone 1st-floor string course; full-height brick pilaster strips either end. Hollow-chamfered stone cornice and stone-coped parapet. INTERIOR: now divided horizontally with floor incorporating remains of gallery round 3 sides. Early C19 former gallery staircases to front corners. Roof structure of original core survives complete. Front was brought forward 10ft in early C19 alterations, probably reusing earlier dressings in new front. Built for a Presbyterian, afterwards Independent congregation formed c1700. Last used as a meeting house by Plymouth Brethren who met on upper floor. (RCHME: Stell C: Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels & Meeting-houses in C England: HMSO London: 1986-: 6).

Listing NGR: SP6959533865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377246

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986), 6

End of official listing