THE COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER KITCHEN TO SOUTH WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205289

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: THE COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER KITCHEN TO SOUTH WEST, COLLEGE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER KITCHEN TO SOUTH WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205289 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 12:05:34.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COLLEGE INCLUDING FORMER KITCHEN TO SOUTH WEST, COLLEGE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge (District Authority)

Parish: Lingfield

National Grid Reference: TQ3883743774

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 34 SE 9/173 11/6/58

LINGFIELD C.P. COLLEGE CLOSE

The College including former Kitchen to south west

GV II*

House. Circa 1700 using some C15 materials and restored in 1973. Brown brick below, alternate bands of fishscale and diamond pattern tile hanging above, Horsham slab main roof laid in diminishing courses, plain tiled roofs to extensions and rear. 2 storeys and attic under central hipped Horsham slab roofed, leaded casement dormer. End ridge stacks on main house with moulded wood string course over ground floor and coved moulded wooden eaves. East front: symmetrical rare survival of 5 wooden mullion and transome 36 pane leaded casements across first floor. Central 6 panel door to ground floor under leaded transome light in architrave surround and flat hood over on moulded brackets. Single storey C20 garage extension to right end. Wings at right angles to rear (west). Former Kitchen to rear south west. One storey, roof partly collapsed with 2 leaded arched casement windows.

Interior: Largely restored; early C18 staircase with turned balusters to balustrade. Built on the site of the Old College founded in 1431 by Reginald, Lord Cobham, for the training of Chaplains, several of whom are buried and commemorated in the Parish Church adjacent to the site.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p.349.

Listing NGR: TQ3883743774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287414

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 349

End of official listing