Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of ICKWORTH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205300 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 18:48:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 81618 61333



2/96 Ickworth House

14.7.55 I

Large country mansion, begun 1795 by Francis Sandys after designs by Mario Asprucci, for Frederick 4th Earl of Bristol and Bishop of Derry, who died 1803 before completion of house. Work completed 1821-1829 for Frederick William Hervey, 5th Earl and 1st Marquis of Bristol. Stuccoed brick; slated and leaded roofs. Central rotunda 105 ft. high with domed and balustraded top; central entrance portico of 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high, supporting pediment. Rotunda encircled by lower order of Ionic pilasters and upper order of Corinthian pilasters through 2 storeys; 2 giant bas-relief friezes by the Carabelli brothers after Flaxman's illustrations of Horner. Segmental 1-storey corridors on both flanks, linking with East and West wings 2 storeys high, each with central pediment on 4 Ionic columns, 2 storeys high. The total frontage is 625ft. Interior fittings mainly complete by 1830, including fine marble fireplace in Library, Scagliola columns in Library and Entrance Hall, and coved ceilings in corridors. The Pompeian Room decorated by J.D. Crace in 1879. Remodelling of main staircase in rotunda and of East wing by Reginald Blomfield, 1909. Now owned by the National Trust; for illustrations and description, see their Official Guide.

Listing NGR: TL8161861333


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Ickworth House
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15176/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Storey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].