CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205303
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205303 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:12:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28622 04816

Details

HOVE

TQ2804NE CHURCH ROAD 579-1/17/36 (North side) 24/03/50 Church of St Andrew

GV II*

Parish church. Late Norman nave and aisles with west tower, C13 chancel, ruinous by the C16, tower collapsed 1801 bringing down with it the end bay of nave, church rebuilt encasing the surviving aisles 1834-6, west gallery added 1839, NE vestry 1841, restored 1880. Architect George Basevi, builders Butler and Son of Paddington, restoration by J.T.Chappell, builder. Norman style with Early English chancel and vestry. Coursed pebbles, coped verges, slate roof, large stone slabs to porch roof, use of cement in restoration work. Plan: chancel, NE vestry, 5-bay aisled nave, 3-stage west tower with stair turret, south porch. The exterior features of the church are all C19. Interior rendered, panelled dado to aisles. C19 tie beam chancel roof, boarded and panelled; nave with original tie-beam and crown post roof with curved struts in all but western bay; shallow pitch aisle roofs with tie beams. Fat, round Norman columns with foliate capitals and pointed arches to arcade. C19 chancel arch. Gallery at west end, tower arch C19. Chancel wall covered with mosaics, 1880. Elegant brass lectern, wooden pulpit with brass handrail in Gothic style 1880. Vault numbers on the paving slabs in nave. A number of memorials of historical interest including one to members of the Basevi family: tablet to the painter Copley Fielding, died 1856, with a poem; Greek Revival style wall tablet to Elizabeth Yard died 1836 with a roundel depicting an angel taking her up to heaven; wall tablet with medallion portrait of Lt Sandeman, died 1852, surrounded by mourning figures. This was the original parish church of Hove. In 1531 the parish was amalgamated with the larger and more important one of Preston; they were not separated until 1879 when St Andrews again became the parish church for 13 years, until All Saints (qv) replaced it. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).

Listing NGR: TQ2862204816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365514
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dale, A , Brighton Churches, (1989)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/16770/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Tim Belcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].