CHURCH OF ST PHILIP

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205324
Date first listed:
31-Mar-1992
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PHILIP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205324.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 21:25:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PHILIP, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 89581 96979

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO89NE CHURCH ROAD, Pennfields 895-1/4/107 (North side) Church of St Philip

II

Church. 1858-9. By Griffin and Weller of Wolverhampton. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; tile roofs. Decorated Gothic style. Chancel with north vestry and south organ loft; nave with transepts and lean-to aisles; south west tower. Coped gables. Chancel has 5-light east window with 2-light window under gablet to south; gabled vestry has end stack and pointed entrance, 2-light windows to west and east; lean-to organ loft has 3-light windows to south and east. 3-bay north aisle has 3-light windows between offset buttresses, 3-light west window; nave has 4-light window and gable cross, angle buttresses; 2-bay south aisle has 3-light windows. 3-stage tower has plinth, octagonal south west stair turret, angle buttresses; south entrance of one order, 2-light west window, clock face to 2nd stage, top stage has 2-light louvred bell openings, drip course with angle spouts and coped parapet. INTERIOR: arch-braced traceried collar trusses on corbels; chancel has 2-bay arcades on marble shafts paired in depth, sanctuary stencilled below cornice, traceried panelling to reredos, geometrical floor tiles, chancel arch on angel corbels with vine trail to jambs; 4-bay north arcade and 3-bay south arcade on filleted quatrefoil piers with rich foliage capitals; stone floor with pierced slabs for heating. Chancel stalls have plain fronts, commandment boards flank altar; richly carved octagonal pulpit on marble shafts has panels with relief figures, reading desk has blind arcading to front and side; enriched round font. Good C19 glass; west and east windows with geometrical designs. The pews are among the latest having been installed in an Anglican church. A good example of a mid C19 church, advanced in design. (Deaville M: The Parish of Penn Fields: Its Church and People 1859-1981: Wolverhampton: 1981-: P.3-5).



Listing NGR: SO8958196979

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378356
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Deaville, M , The Parish of Penn Fields Its Church and People 1859-1981, (1981), 3 5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/02290/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John M Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].