CALEDONIAN ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205354

Date first listed: 30-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: CALEDONIAN ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CALEDONIAN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CALEDONIAN ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205354 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 23:22:09.

Location

Statutory Address: CALEDONIAN ROAD METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, CALEDONIAN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Islington (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 30576 84760

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3084NE CALEDONIAN ROAD 635-1/44/128 (West side) Caledonian Road Methodist Church and attached railings

GV II

Formerly known as: Primitive Methodist Chapel CALEDONIAN ROAD. Non-conformist Methodist chapel, formerly Primitive Methodist. 1870; restored 1953; internal alterations c.1972. By T & W Stone; William Goodman, builder. Buff brick with stone and red brick decoration especially for alternate voussoirs; projecting eaves to roof, of which materials obscured. Handsome Italianate style chapel of rectangular plan. Two storeys; 4-window range to main elevation, and 5-window range to right-hand return wall in Market Road. Symmetrical facade to Caledonian Road: projecting ground-floor to full-width of front elevation for entrance porch and lobbies to gallery stairs. Central doorway flanked by triple round-arched windows carried on cast-iron columns. Memorial plaques beneath windows. Stone string-course and narrow cornice, parapet with Greek cross motif picked out in red brick. Broken pediment above doorway containing name plaque. Upper storey with round-arched windows with impost strings. Frieze above repeats the Greek cross decoration. Sharply projecting cornice. Window frames of cast-iron and comprise 3 circular lights, arranged vertically (top light opens on alternate windows). Market Road elevation with basement area: ground-floor sashes with segmental heads; upper floor sashes as on main facade. INTERIOR: : marred by addition of walls beneath gallery. Wooden gallery supported on slender cast-iron columns; ornamental cast-iron panels beneath handrail. Original seats. Coved and coffered ceiling, ribs resting on ornamental corbels. C19 organ but installed 1930s. One of the best-designed and best-executed chapels in Islington. (Survey of Nonconformist chapels and places of worship: Temple, P: Islington Chapels: London: 1989-: CALEDONIAN ROAD,N7).

Listing NGR: TQ3057684760

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 368619

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Temple, P, 'Survey of Nonconformist Churches and Chapels in Greater London' in Islington Chapels London, (1989)

End of official listing