This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER ASSEMBLY ROOMS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER ASSEMBLY ROOMS

List entry Number: 1205369

Location

FORMER ASSEMBLY ROOMS, 13, HIGH CROSS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Truro

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jul-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 377392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRURO

SW8244NE HIGH CROSS 880-1/7/75 (North side) 29/12/50 No.13 Former Assembly Rooms (Formerly Listed as: HIGH CROSS Cathedral Chambers)

GV II

Formerly known as: Cathedral Garage HIGH CROSS. Assembly rooms and theatre. Built 1772 or 1780s. Freestone ashlar. Natural slate roof and C20 dormers behind pediment. Plan changed during 1970s remodelling of core. Neo-classical style. 2 storeys plus C20 attic; symmetrical 3-window front. Central round-arched doorway with ordered tympanum flanked by 2 smaller round-arched doorways with entablature, both broken forward; fanlights, C20 glazed doors. Above is mid-floor string as sill to 3 tall hornless sashes with slender glazing bars, under flat arches. Central plaque has a pair of Griffins with urn flanked by medallions of Garrick and Shakespeare. Triangular pediment above with a plaque of Minerva. INTERIOR: replaced during C20 reconstruction. Pevsner cites the date of building as 1772 but recent research has placed the building in the 1780s. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 232).

Listing NGR: SW8259744954

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 232
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 232

National Grid Reference: SW 82580 44942

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205369 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 08:24:52.

End of official listing