Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205376.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 18:30:07.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Suffolk (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 41950 90153


1. 828 BALLYGATE (West Side) Leman House TM 4190 2/13 16.3.48.


2. 16th century with considerable later additions. 2 storeys and attic with 4 dormers. Frontage, about 75 ft, with 7 windows with label mouldings and wood 4-centred arched heads, some original perhaps, 1762 (see below). Small porch at back with ogee brick arched window with sashes in flush frame, and curious glazing bars reflecting ogee curves. Over this porch is a bell turret. 1 original 16th century window frame at back, and 7 replacements of probable 16th century casements. 1, 16th century, remains in attic. The front is of worked flints with many red brick headers. Suffolk yellow brick quoins and window jambs. Brick gable ends corbelled at eaves. Wood cornice with pointed arched enrichment above bed mould. 2 doors 6-panel (modern) in 18th century wood case in 16th century style with 4-centre wood frame under square lintol with stone label moulding. There is an incription in slate surrounded with stone moulding on end wall stating that "Sir John Leman Knt., Alderman of London founded this school .... AD MDCXXI and ..... This building was prepared and beautified under direction of O Holmes, and E Brooke .... Portreeves of the Corporation and other Governors of this Charity AD MDCCLXII". There is a small apparently contemporary tablet inside with Latin inscription stating that Sir John Leman endowed the School in 1631, and a date in iron wall ties of 1670 on the north gable end. There is evidence of the earlier date of the building in Sir John Leman's will dated 8 July 1631 which reads:- "I give and Bequeath all that messuage ... now used for a school house ... situated in Beccles ... in a certain street called Ballygate". Regarding the extensive alterations made at the date 1792, all records of the administration of the Charity exist, and the minutes of the meeting in 1762 and 1763 have been referred to and the following extract made:- January 1762"141 Timbers and 1 Pollard sold to Mr Randall Abbott for £253, 33 Pollards for 14.7 to pay for alterations now being done". 8 January 1762 "Alterations and additions to the School house indicated and described in certain estimates and plan by Mr Chs Wright." 6 March 1763 "The sum of £272 16s 6d was ordered to be laid out in and about certain alterations to the school house which were undertaken to be done for that sum by Chs Wright of Beccles and whereas several subsequent alterations and additions have been made and other ones adjudged still necessary. It is therefore hereby agreed that a sum not exceeding £100 shall be raised as soon as may be by the sale of wood and timber off lands belonging to the said School." The above sum would cover very extensive alterations, including facing the front with flint and bonding with the brick headers. In the present century the house became a private residence again and internal alterations made. NMR photos.

Listing NGR: TM4195090153


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/00565/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David W. Collins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.