RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205384
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Statutory Address:
RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH OPE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205384.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 14:48:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUINS OF CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH OPE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69679 71106

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 CHURCH OPE ROAD, Easton 969-1/4/28 (South side) 16/01/51 Ruins of Church of St. Andrew

II*

Ruins of former Anglican parish church. C12 lower part part of chancel walls with N respond of chancel arch and S footings of nave; reconstructed with a narrower nave in C14; abandoned mid C18. Rubble with ashlar dressings. Remnants only of walls and the tower base exist; of the tower the N side has chamfered pointed arch and walling to c 3m high, as also W. Some parts of dressed openings to E and S, with 5 plain steps. Nave floor lower than tower. W wall stands to c 4m and c 3m to N. Former S aisle indicated by remains of 3 piers with water-holding bases, and remains of detached shaft with arch from chancel, down 2 steps. The ruins are much overgrown (May 1991); they were also disturbed by a bomb during World War II. Site excavated by J. Merrick Head in 1898. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 249).

Listing NGR: SY6967971106

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
381920
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 249

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05395/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].