This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

AUBREY'S ALMSHOUSES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: AUBREY'S ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1205405

Location

AUBREY'S ALMSHOUSES, 13,15 AND 17, BERRINGTON STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hereford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 372211

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEREFORD

SO5039NE BERRINGTON STREET 683-1/2/34 (East side) 10/06/52 Nos.13, 15 AND 17 Aubrey's Almshouses (Formerly Listed as: BERRINGTON STREET Nos.13-18 (Consecutive) Aubrey's Almshouses)

GV II*

Almshouses, formerly six dwellings, now three. c1630. Brick plinth; timber-frame and plaster; plain tile roof with 3 gables to front; 3 brick stacks to rear. 3 paired-unit plan. Single storey and attic; 6-window range: lattice leaded lights with central wood mullions and some inserted casements, set in close studding; gables, on moulded bressumers, with pendants, have two 2-light casements retaining some leaded lights, ornamental bracing, and moulded barge-boards with pendants. Paired plank doors in moulded frames, with simple wood hoods. Right returned side has close studding, with passing braces. INTERIOR: 2 winder stairs with octagonal newels, with ogee stop chamfers, and C19 plank screens. 1st floor: exposed framing; two C19, 4-panel doors. Ground floor: plank door to stair cupboard; ogee stop chamfered ceiling beams. Converted to 3 dwellings 1959. (Charity Commissioners Report: Hereford: 1840-: 57).

Listing NGR: SO5078139916

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Charity Commissioners Report' in Hereford, (1840), 57

National Grid Reference: SO 50781 39916

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205405 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:16:17.

End of official listing