CHURCH OF ST KEYNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205410
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KEYNE, KENWYN CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST KEYNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205410 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 13:57:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST KEYNE, KENWYN CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Truro
National Grid Reference:
SW 81968 45852

Details

TRURO

SW84NW KENWYN CHURCH ROAD 880-1/1/82 (East side) 29/12/50 Church of St Keyne (Formerly Listed as: KENWYN Church of St Cuby)

GV II*

Parish church. Consecrated 1259, extended C15, greatly restored 1819 and 1860. Local rubble with granite and some freestone dressings; dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends and crested clay ridge tiles. Originally a cruciform plan of which north wall of nave, chancel and possibly foundations of north transept survive, extended in the early C15 with south aisle and south porch and in later C15 with west tower; organ transept rebuilt probably 1860. 3-stage tower has angle buttresses set back from the corners, string courses dividing stages; embattled papapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; round-arched west doorway with C15 three-light traceried window above and traceried louvred windows to belfry. Tower windows are typical late C15 Perpendicular style; C15 windows to north and south aisle windows have Y tracery, some have had mullions and tracery restored in the C19. C15 south porch doorway has moulded responds and 4-centred arch; inner doorway also 4-centred. C19 windows: to transepts, to west window of aisle, to east end of aisle and 5-light east window to chancel, with interesting tracery. INTERIOR: plastered walls; C15 tower arch and tall standard A-type (Pevsner) arcade with 4-centred arches; C19 waggon roofs to nave, chancel and aisle. C19 arch-braced roofs to transepts. C19 memorial windows with coloured glass: east chancel to Carlyon, north chancel to George and Jacobi Cornish; south chancel to J R Cornish; west tower to Carlyon, choir aisle south to Tippett and Blamey; south transept east to Reverend Charles Burgess, west to William Mansell Tweedy. Fittings: C17 painted letter from Charles I; otherwise C19 fittings including granite font, pews and pulpit and freestone reredos with trefoil-headed squat colonnade of 9 bays. Monuments: in north transept nowy-headed plaster and slate wall monument to Edmund Powell 1784; in south transept wall marble to John Richards Paul of Bosvigo 1826-1907, north wall Gothic-style limestone wall monument to William Mitchell 1845, south wall marble monument with urn by Isbell to George John (and family) 1808 of Trehaverne and marble monument with shield and urn by King to George Nicholas John 1797, aged 8. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1951-1970: 84-5).

Listing NGR: SW8196845852

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377401
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 84-85
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 84-85

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].