STANLEY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205481
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1951
Statutory Address:
STANLEY HOUSE, 28, EASTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STANLEY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 07:28:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
STANLEY HOUSE, 28, EASTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69220 71923

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 EASTON STREET, Easton 969-1/4/41 (East side) 16/01/51 No.28 Stanley House

II

House in row. Dated 1760. Squared and coursed stone block, slate roof with clay ridge. Two-room heated plan with central through passage and rear wing to right. Symmetrical 3-storey, 2-window frontage with classical porch. Three-light casements with stone chamfered mullions with flush surrounds; at ground and first floors with flush plat surrounds, but top floor has coursed jambs. RCHM suggest top floor added, but masonry appears identical with lower work. Central porch with side walls to half-round Doric columns and moulded pediment. Back wing similar, on one floor only, with a 3-light casement window as front. Stone stack with skirt and moulded capping, left, and brick stack right. An added swept-down unit at back. Interior has small dressed stone fireplaces to each ground-floor room, and a C19 tight winder stair in right room; wing entered through opening with cambered head, and a similar opening with hollow mould surround on north wall of wing, formerly an external door. First-floor fireplace with moulded jambs has, on lintol, 2 beehives and inscription: "1760: William Pearce and Rebecca his wife builded this House". (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London: 1970-: 255).

Listing NGR: SY6922071923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
381935
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 255

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04605/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].