THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205528
Date first listed:
31-May-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Nov-1992
Statutory Address:
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, GRAND AVENUE
Statutory Address:
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, KINGSWAY
Statutory Address:
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, QUEENS GARDENS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205528 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 19:44:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, GRAND AVENUE
Statutory Address:
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, KINGSWAY
Statutory Address:
THE SOUTH EASTERN ELECTRICITY BOARD, QUEENS GARDENS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29094 04389

Details

HOVE

TQ2904SW GRAND AVENUE 579-1/22/54 (East side) 31/05/74 The South Eastern Electricity Board (Formerly Listed as: KINGSWAY The South Eastern Electricity Board)

GV II

Hotel and dwellings, now offices. 1871-1874, restored 1981 with large addition. Designed by James Knowles, builder J.T.Chappell, extended by Fitzroy Robinson Miller Bourne & Partners for Seeboard. Yellow stock bricks, quoins, asbestos slate roofs with pyramid roofs to corner towers, overhanging eaves with moulded cornice, tall brick stacks with moulded caps. Italianate style. L-plan facing south, south front: 7-storey tower left, 6-storey right, central block of 5 storeys, 3:15:3 bays; small pediment with heraldic achievement in tympanum covering the central, slightly projecting, 3 bays, C20 plastic sash windows without glazing bars, round-headed windows to upper stage of tower, 3 lowest storeys canted bays, segmental heads to ground floor and second floor windows, continous metal balconies on shaped brackets to first and second floors. Former entrance (now disused) in ninth bay right, panelled door. Left return (west) of 3:3:3 bays with 6-storey tower, fenestration similar to that of main elevation except for tripartite windows in centre bay; abutting C20 addition. Entrance via C20 addition. When first erected the building contained Mr Prince's Hotel in the western part, with the entrance on the site of the present rebuilt S.E.E.B. entrance, and dwellings and a club in the remainder. David Reuben Sassoon lived at No.7 and entertained the Shah of Persia there in 1889. Over the years Prince's Hotel expanded to include the whole block and down to the Second World War it was one of the finest hotels in Hove. In 1948 it was purchased by the S.E.E.B. who still use it as their headquarters. (Middleton J: Hove in Old Picture Postcards: 1983-).

Listing NGR: TQ2909404389

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365535
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Middleton, J, Hove in Old Picture Postcards, (1983)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13134/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Mary Allison. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].