CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205531
Date first listed:
09-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205531 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 20:48:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
King's Lynn and West Norfolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Fordham
National Grid Reference:
TL 61657 99640

Details

TFL 69 NW FORDHAM

8/13 Church of St. Mary 9/7/51 - II*

Parish church. Late C13, mid C14 and 1730. Carstone and ashlar with slate roof (pantiles to chancel). Nave and chancel, the tower demolished 1730. Diagonal buttress to north-west, flat to south-west with additional c.1730 brick buttress to south of west end. Rendered west bell-cote. South aisle removed and 3-bay arcade blocked reusing 2 2-light early Perpendicular windows. Eaves rebuilt in brick. 3 stepped buttresses. Similar chancel south window and 2-light Y north window (no east window). East nave gable rebuilt 1730 in brick with tumbling. 3 stepped buttresses to north nave, one 2-light window as south, one 3-light C15 Perpendicular window with supermullions. Interior. Chancel arch on demi-columns with high polygonal bases and moulded circular capitals supporting wave moulded arch. Rere-arch to north window. 1730 nave roof : tie beams, principals and collars on arched braces, 2 tiers staggered butt purlins with windbracing to upper tier.

Listing NGR: TL6165799640

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
221459
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04959/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Giles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].