WELL HOUSE AT WILLOUGHBRIDGE WELLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205549

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: WELL HOUSE AT WILLOUGHBRIDGE WELLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELL HOUSE AT WILLOUGHBRIDGE WELLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205549 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 14:05:28.

Location

Statutory Address: WELL HOUSE AT WILLOUGHBRIDGE WELLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Loggerheads

National Grid Reference: SJ 74534 39578

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 73 NW LOGGERHEADS C.P Ashley

8/1 Well house at 17/11/66 Willoughbridge Wells (formerly listed as Well House at Willowbridge)

II

Well house. Probably mid-C17 with considerable later modifications, the dates 1690, 1701 and 1864 probably referring to repairs or re-buildings. Sandstone ashlar with lead flashing to the cornice. Square in plan with 2 openings on each side, all with moulded surrounds; moulded cornice and on the east side 2 male heads (C18?). Now roofless, but probably not originally. Warm springs were discovered here in the 1620's and it is probable that the well house was built by Lord Gerard of Gerards Bromley Hall. B.O.E., p.207.

Listing NGR: SJ7453439578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362577

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 207

End of official listing