This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

POST OFFICE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POST OFFICE

List entry Number: 1205550

Location

POST OFFICE, 79, FORTUNESWELL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Weymouth and Portland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Portland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 381946

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PORTLAND

SY6873 FORTUNESWELL, Fortuneswell 969-1/3/97 (South West side) No.79 Post Office

II

Commercial building, including Post Office. Dated 1894. Yellow brick, stone dressings and enrichments in terra-cotta, slate roof to clay cresting. Three storeys, 2 bays about central plaques. At second floor are paired arched plate-glass sashes in raised surrounds with bold keystones and pilasters to a plat cill band above similar but larger windows under a drip mould. Ground floor has 2 windows to deep-set doors in fluted 'Doric'pilasters, and a further C19 panelled door to segmental head with keystone, all under bold cornice with cast iron cresting. Deep brick stacks left and right. At first floor is a stone plaque with POST OFFICE AD 1894, and at second floor a terracotta panel with a head flanked by swags. At eaves level, and partly into the extrados of the second floor arches a terra-cotta frieze with roundels, and two-course dentils. Plain pilasters left and right to upper two floors. A very typical brash commercial design which has remained unaltered.

Listing NGR: SY6869973436

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SY 68699 73436

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205550 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 01:24:40.

End of official listing