Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205580.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 13:05:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Erewash (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 45857 40550


SK 44 SE; 3/43


Church of All Saints



Parish church. C14, C15, restoration C19. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Welsh-slate roofs with stone-coped gables. Moulded coped parapets to nave. West tower, nave and chancel. Moulded plinth, except on the north side of the nave.

The west tower has a west window of two cusped arched lights under a square head, set in a chamfered surround. The south side has a lower bell opening of 2-lights in a chamfered square headed surround. Second bell opening above has two cusped arched lights under a square head and set in a chamfered surround. Similar bell openings on the other three sides. Moulded string course above and battlemented parapet. South side of nave of three bays, with diagonal buttresses and one intermediate buttress. Steeply gabled C19 south porch has a heavy moulded arch on stumpy half columns. To the left is a 2-light C14 window in a stepped and wave moulded surround with square head and C19 tracery. Two similar windows to the right. The chancel has two more similar windows flanking a single chamfered priests doorway. Much rebuilt in the C19. Diagonal buttresses at the east end of the chancel. Three-light east window with an almost triangular head and wave moulded surround. Tracery of three trefoiled lancets and three trefoils. The north wall of the chancel has no windows. The north wall of the nave has no buttresses and has two windows similar to those on the south side, but entirely C19 and with roll moulded surrounds. Set into the walls of the south porch are two C12 beakheads. Steeply pointed south doorway with continuous wave moulding. C19 plank door with iron strap hinges.

Tower arch of two moulded orders, the inner order dying into the imposts. C19 double chamfered chancel arch with hoodmould on both sides with foliage stops. C19 boarded chancel roof with cusping and quatrefoil frieze. Nave roof has tie beams and arched trusses on corbels. C12 circular font with intersecting arcading, set on a C19 octagonal base. Dec piscina and triple sedilia with cusped tracery. C19 stone reredos in the form of a gothic arcade. Painted texts either side of the east window, placed above corbels.

Monuments: Three tablets on the north wall of the chancel, to Valentine Stead + 1765, Ann Stead + 1810, Francis Newdigate + 1762. C19 rood screen, Dec style, with foliage frieze and cresting.

Stained glass: C19 glass in the three chancel windows. A south nave window of 1910, and a north nave window of 1909, the latter an 'arts and crafts' design of 1910 by Bernard Sleigh of Birmingham - one of very few windows by Sleigh who was better known as a wood engraver. Painted hatchment above the chancel arch.

Listing NGR: SK4585740552


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16454/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Jefferson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].