Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205586.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 16:38:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 12170 58242


TIMBERLAND CHURCH LANE TF 15 NW 6/53 Church of St Andrew 1.2.67

- II*

Parish Church. C12, C13, C14, nave rebuilt 1792, chancel rebuilt 1838, restored 1887 by Goddards of Lincoln. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar and red brick dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables. Flush ashlar quoins. West tower, nave with aisles and clerestory, south porch, north west vestry and north east organ chamber, and chancel. West tower of 3 stages, with very massive irregularly placed buttresses with set-offs. West face has short off-centre buttress with 2 memorial tablets to the First and Second World Wars. To the right a plank door, reached up 4 steps, with a glazing bar overlight and a segment head with keystone. Above a C19 clock in moulded surround, then a band. All four faces of the third stage are the same with 2-light bell openings with Y-tracery in shallow point arches with double chamfered surrounds, hoodmoulds and label stops. Topped by a band with a gargoyle, and battlements with corner pinnacles. The south face has a C20 breeze- block lean-to, boiler house, and a full height central buttress with a small fixed, leaded light to the left. The north face is blank, with a C19 lean-to vestry below, with a single 2-light chamfered mullion window. North aisle has a blocked pointed arched doorway to the right, then 2 pointed arched windows in chamfered surrounds to the left, the first with flowing tracery and the second with reticulated tracery. The clerestory has 3 similar windows on the north and south, each 2-light, with flowing tracery in shallow arched chamfered surrounds. The organ chamber east wall has a single pointed, chamfered lancet. The 1838 chancel has a brick plinth, and the gable is topped by a cross finial. The 3-light east window, in a pointed, chamfered surround has cusped tracery. The chancel south wall has a pointed doorway with C19 studded door, and an unusual stone fanlight, with rows of round and pointed arches, flanked by head stops. Above a plaque inscribed 'T CLIFTON 1838'. To either side are single pointed, 2-light windows with geometric tracery. The south aisle has 2 pointed windows in chamfered surrounds, the left with flowing, the right with reticulated tracery. The gabled south porch has a pointed doorway with a chamfered surround and a plank door. The inner doorway is similar with a C20 door. Interior: 2 bay nave arcades with wide, pointed, double chamfered arches with a south quatrefoil pier and a square north pier with demi-shafts, plus single shaft responds all with moulded bases and plain capitals. Tower arch has a wide, round, chamfered outer arch, and a crude, pointed, double chamfered inner arch, with shafts with moulded bases and plain capitals. Chancel arch has a double chamfered pointed arch with three quarter shaft responds. Nave has flat C18 plaster ceiling with 2 elliptical palmette rosettes and a moulded cornice. Chancel has a C19 wooden roof, and heavily restored C11 pillar piscina, with a 4 cluster shaft and scallop capitals. Ornate C19 octagonal stone font. Early C20 wooden screen, pulpit reredos and altar. C19 choir stalls. 5 Slate wall tablets to the Clifton family in the chancel, and a wooden carved wall tablet of 1908 by C G Wheat, in the south aisle.

Listing NGR: TF1217058242


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06386/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].