CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205598
Date first listed:
15-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 10:54:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Stapleton
National Grid Reference:
NY 50339 71295

Details

NY 47 SW STAPLETON STAPLETON

17/93 Church of St Mary

II

Church. Dated 1830 over entrance with names of the curate and churchwardens; replacing medieval church and built partly of materials from the old church. Dressed red sandstone on chamfered plinth with flush quoins; graduated slate roof. 3-storey west square tower/porch, 4-bay nave, single-bay chancel. Plank double doors in pointed chamfered surround with hood mould; stepped angle buttresses, tall lancet windows and bell openings with hood moulds; corner pinnacles. Nave has tall lancet windows with hood moulds. Chancel has triple lancet east window. Interior has moulded plaster ceiling; early C20 furnishings and fittings. C17 and C18 heraldic wall plaques; C18 and C19 aedicule wall plaques, mostly from the original church. Font stem is initialled AB, HR, IE, ID and dated 1748; bowl is C19 replacement. See T.E.A. Verity, A History of Stapleton Church & Parish, 1976.

Listing NGR: NY5033971295

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78174
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verity, T E A , A History of Stapleton Church and Parish, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16787/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Spence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].