AVENUE HOUSE AND BARRACKS HOUSE, ATTACHED WALLS, GATES, GATE PIERS AND OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205601

Date first listed: 03-Apr-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Nov-1994

Statutory Address: AVENUE HOUSE AND BARRACKS HOUSE, ATTACHED WALLS, GATES, GATE PIERS AND OUTBUILDINGS, 12, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of AVENUE HOUSE AND BARRACKS HOUSE, ATTACHED WALLS, GATES, GATE PIERS AND OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205601 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:37:53.

Location

Statutory Address: AVENUE HOUSE AND BARRACKS HOUSE, ATTACHED WALLS, GATES, GATE PIERS AND OUTBUILDINGS, 12, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)

Parish: Buckingham

National Grid Reference: SP 69264 34032

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6934 WEST STREET 879-1/5/185 (North side) 03/04/73 No.12 Avenue House & Barracks House, attached walls, gates, gate piers & outbuildings (Formerly Listed as: WEST STREET (North side) No.12 The Barracks House and Avenue House)

II

Former barracks now pair of houses. Built 1802 for Marquis of Buckingham, altered C20. Coursed squared limestone, 2-span and lean-to Welsh slate roofs, brick end and ridge stacks. Double-depth plan. 2-storey, 3-window range. Elevation facing West Street has symmetrical composition of 3-bay centre flanked by 1 storey and attic wings under long, lean-to roofs. Central block has 9-pane sash windows to ground and 1st floors with flat-arched heads. Wings have similar windows to ground floor innermost and narrower, 6-pane sashes outermost, and a sash window to attic storeys with round-arched head. Wings have further, recessed bay under the same roof either end and flat-topped roof dormer windows. Tall plinth, storey band to central block only, which breaks forward slightly and has hollow-chamfered wood eaves to wings. Elevation facing yard to rear has wide central panelled door with square glazed top lights, moulded wood surround, flat-arched head and straight hood on curved brackets. Panelled door to right of centre and to far left and right, and C20 double-leaf plank doors to left of centre giving access to store. Fenestration similar to street elevation. High attached walls enclose long narrow yard to rear of dwellings and join house to single-storey outbuilding running full length of residential range. Walls are of coursed limestone rubble, stone-coped, and are interrupted by red brick gatepiers with stepped stone caps at either end of yard; tall double-leaf timber gates with wickets. Outbuilding, formerly partly stabling is timber-framed with red brick panels in stretcher bond and lean-to slate roof. Sides and rear walls continue those enclosing yard and rise above outbuilding and have stone coping. 9-bay roof to outbuilding with tie beam trusses. Houses either end of residential block have spinal staircases rising in long straight flights between walls from round arch-headed opening and are lit by the roof dormers. The barracks, built at sole expense of 1st Marquis of Buckingham, housed the Royal Bucks Militia, and later, Royal Bucks Hussars. Main residence housed the Adjutant. Store formerly housed a 'Gatling' gun. (Harrison JT: Historical Buckingham: London and Buckingham: 1909-: 77).

Listing NGR: SP6926434032

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377279

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, J T , Historical Buckingham, (1909), 77

End of official listing