Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205607.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2021 at 03:54:45.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Dorset (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SY 69889 72581



SY67SE GROVE ROAD, Grove 969-1/1/135 (North side) 21/09/78 Church of St Peter


Former Anglican parish church, now chapel to Young Offender Institution. Consecrated August 1872. Designed by Capt. Du Cane, RE and built at cost of »8000. Portland ashlar, slate roofs. Cruciform unaisled plan with western narthex and bell cote, and trefoil-plan transepts and chancel, all in vigorous Lombardic Romanesque style. West front has lofty gabled bell cote on coped gable to kneelers over 8-foil wheel window in sunk panel to pointed moulded arch above lean-to narthex with raised copings and 7 arched windows behind screen of doubled colonnettes; at south end a raking buttress to left and pair of plank doors in moulded arch. Main body has lofty plinth with offsets, flat pilasters to sunk panels and continuous dwarf arcade to Lombard bands at eaves with moulded cornice and cast iron cavetto-mould gutter. Nave has 2+2+1 lights, and transepts 7 single lights; north transept also has central door under small arched light. Apse has blank panel adjoining transept, then 9 lights behind screen of paired colonnettes. Lean-to vestry in north-east corner has circular stack on square base, and a door to N. Interior: 3-bay nave with tied arch-braced scissor trusses and king post to stone corbels. Unplastered walls. Windows in deep embrasures, roll- mould surround stopped to rosettes and steep sloping cill. Plain glass except centre S, replacing one damaged by bombing in 1941, in memory of Bandmaster J. Tyson and men of the Dorset Regiment killed in action. West wheel window series of angels and central monogram IHS. In transepts a varied version of the nave trusses. Chancel on 2+2+1 steps, sanctuary with series of deep-set rectangular panels flanking central 4-bay reredos with Evangelists in mosaic, under windows with paired colonnettes, and blank panels with names of Regiments serving at The Verne from 1873 to 1937. Boarded celure, simple hammer-beam trusses. Area of black and white mosaic under wooden altar table. Stained glass mainly C20. To left and right of chancel arch are arched recesses containing Decalogue, Lord's Prayer, and Creed; organ in south transept, stone octagonal pulpit, and unusual hexagonal base to stone lectern. Plain pine pews. In narthex some black and white mosaic, plank ceiling. As with many of the buildings on Portland, much of the work is reputed to have been done by convicts from the prison, and the mosaic at St. Peter's is known to have been the work of Constance Kent, who was serving a life sentence in Parkhurst prison; she was released, and died at the age of 100 in 1940. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Newman J: Dorset: London: 1972-1989: 343).

Listing NGR: SY6988972581


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 343


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11383/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].