CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205640
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, BRENTWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 15:34:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, BRENTWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Herongate and Ingrave
National Grid Reference:
TQ 62327 92024

Details

BRENTWOOD

TQ69SW BRENTWOOD ROAD, Ingrave 723-1/9/216 (North East side) 21/10/58 Church of St Nicholas

II*

Parish church. 1734. For Robert, eighth Lord Petre. Red brick in Flemish bond with some stone dressings, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. In the style of Hawksmoor. Chancel and nave aligned almost N-S, with vestries to each side of chancel, and S tower, but described here by conventional cardinal points. The chancel is narrower than the nave. It has an E window with a semicircular arch, and glass by Edward Frampton, 1894. The N and S walls each have one round window. Raised band below the windows. Eaves cornice with large dentils and mouldings, hipped roof of shallow pitch. Paintings on E, N and S walls of chancel by Reginald Hallward, 1894, covered by white paint. Moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Moulded semicircular chancel-arch with extended imposts. The nave has in each of the N and S walls 2 casements with semicircular arches and one round casement, all with original wooden frames. Original N and S double doors, each of 8 panels with ovolo mouldings, in semicircular arches. Raised band below windows. Cornice similar to that of chancel, but roof gabled and of higher pitch. INTERIOR: plain apart from a moulded ceiling cornice. Each vestry has an E window with semicircular arch, and a W doorway with boarded frame and segmental arch; original 6-panel door in N vestry, C20 replica in S vestry. Moulded eaves cornices and hipped roofs. The W tower is plain, with a semi-octagonal turret at each side, rising above the parapet as octagonal. Original W double doors, each leaf of 8 fielded panels, in a semicircular arch with projecting keystone, the wooden tympanum having radial slots. Raised bands at impost and keystone levels. Plain casement above doors, with flat arch of gauged brick. In the bell-stage is a louvred aperture to E and W with semicircular arch. Arched corbel table on 4 sides of tower. Each turret has 3 plain loops. The church was built in 1734, consecrated 1736, to replace 2 medieval parish churches closed by Act of Parliament, St Nicholas', Ingrave, one km to the N, and St Nicholas', West Horndon, 2.5 km to the S from which some fittings were transferred. FITTINGS AND MEMORIALS: font, octagonal bowl with quatrefoiled panels and moulded rim and base, early C16. Pulpit, oak, octagonal, c1735. In the chancel are brasses (1) of Margaret Wake, 1466, figure of woman in kirtle, mantle and butterfly head-dress, with incomplete marginal inscription plates and 4 shields of arms, (2) of Sir Richard Fitz-Lewes, 1528, figure of man in plate armour with tabard of arms, head on crested helm, feet on dog, and figures of 4 wives in fur-trimmed gowns and pedimental head-dresses, indents of 2 groups of children (all illustrated in RCHM). The organ, 1856, was removed from the chapel of Thorndon Hall (qv). In the chancel are floor-slabs (1) of Grace, wife of Reverend John Newman, 1795, and John Newman, 1802, (2) of Elizabeth Banks, 1787, Elizabeth Newman, 1788, Robert Newman, 1792, and Joseph Newman, 1802, (3) of Joseph Collborne, 1795, and Hester, his widow, 1831, (4) of Rev. Owen Jones, and Anne Jones, 1772, (5) of Mary Ann Marston, 1795, and Ann, wife of Charles Marston, 1795, and Charles Marston, 1806, and (6) of Henrietta Walmesley, 1767. In the nave are floor-slabs (1) of John Tempest, 1736, (2) of John Tempest, 1757, (3) of Reverend Charles Lucas, 1787, (4) of Luke Davy, 1799, (5) of Peter Denoir, 1799. Inset under glass near the NW corner of the nave is a portion of a black-letter inscription to Walter Gayslee, C14. On the N wall of the chancel is a tablet to Reverend Thomas Newman, 1807, and his widow Margaret, 1819, and on the S wall a tablet to Thomas and Elizabeth Newman, 1842. There are 6 bells, of which the first, second, third and fifth, are by Thomas Gardiner, the second dated 1737, the fifth dated 1735, the others probably of similar dates.

Listing NGR: TQ6232792024

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373382
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05346/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Bridgeman-Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].