ORCHARD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205641
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
ORCHARD HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ORCHARD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205641.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 17:21:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
ORCHARD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Carlisle (District Authority)
Parish:
Waterhead
National Grid Reference:
NY 63214 66830

Details

NY 66 NW WATERHEAD GILSLAND

27/102 Orchard House, (previously listed as Orchard House Hotel)

1.4.57 II

House, formerly hotel. Late C18 with early C19 extensions. Painted coursed rubble on chamfered plinth with raised V-jointed quoins and string course; hipped graduated green slate roof with projecting rafters under overhanging eaves. 3 storeys, 5 bays with flanking wings of 2 storeys, 4 bays each. 2 entrances with C20 doors in moulded stone architraves; shallow gabled porches on Greek Doric columns, formed from iron rods to give the effect of fluting. Sash windows with glazing bars in plain painted raised surrounds. Cellar windows in right wing have C20 casement windows. Visited by Sir Walter Scott in 1797 when it was the Orchard House Inn. Listing excludes outbuildings.

Listing NGR: NY6321466830

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78179
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11181/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].