STIPERDEN HOUSE FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED BARN AND STABLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205649
Date first listed:
10-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
STIPERDEN HOUSE FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED BARN AND STABLE, THE LONG CAUSEWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of STIPERDEN HOUSE FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED BARN AND STABLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205649 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 09:33:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
STIPERDEN HOUSE FARMHOUSE WITH ATTACHED BARN AND STABLE, THE LONG CAUSEWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Burnley (District Authority)
Parish:
Cliviger
National Grid Reference:
SD 90900 27935

Details

SD 92 NW CLIVIGER THE LONG CAUSEWAY

7/36 Stiperden House Farmhouse with attached barn and stable

- - II

Farmhouse with added barn and stable. Dated 1658 over doorway; altered, probably raised, and extended. Coursed sandstone (some squared, some rubble) with quoins, stone slate roof. Long rectangular range, facing down towards Paul Slough (which forms county boundary), with barn added at left end and stable at right end of 2-bay house, all under one roof. House is 2 storeys (but see below, "interior"), has an added single-storey gabled porch in the centre, with doorway in left side, the roof of this crossing a recessed datestone with raised lettering including part of the name THOM(AS?) visible above the roof, and THIS HO ANNO: 1658 below the roof. On each floor to the left is a recessed mullioned window of late C17 or early C18 character: 3 large lights at ground floor, 4 smaller lights above (lacking Ist and 3rd mullions); and on each floor to the right a C19 rectangular window with altered glazing. Ridge chimneys at junctions to left and right. Barn continued to left has 2 doorways and between these on each floor a formerly-mullioned 2-light window (upper blocked); stable continued to right has a door and a window, with plain surrounds. Rear of house has 4 small square windows at ground floor, one at mid-level, and one at 1st floor, all recessed and mostly with stools of former mullions, nearer end of barn has 2 similar openings on each floor, beyond these a large square opening to the loft. Interior of barn: junction wall with house shows line of formerly much lower roof, and above and left of this a small square chamfered window (blocked). Interior of house not inspected.

Listing NGR: SD9090027935

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184042
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].