CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205660

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205660 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 22:33:43.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Burnley (District Authority)

Parish: Worsthorne-with-Hurstwood

National Grid Reference: SD 87635 32401

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 83 SE WORSTHORNE WITH CHURCH SQUARE HURSTWOOD Worsthorne

3/38 Church of St. John the Evangelist 17.12.1968 GV II

Church, now church and assembly rooms. 1834-5, said to be by Lewis Vulliamy (Pevsner), with chancel 1894 by W.B. Colbram, west tower 1903 by Austin and Paley; altered internally. Squared sandstone (chancel rockfaced, tower snecked), slate roof. Early English style. Wide 5-bay nave (formerly a galleried auditorium) has shallow buttresses and a large lancet in each bay. Added chancel in matching style, with triple lancet east window. Stout west tower of square plan and 3 unequal stages, the upper half set back, has broad clasping pilaster-strips, moulded arched west doorway with shafts and hoodmould (up 5 steps protected on one side by modern wrought iron railings incorporating symbols of local history and economy, e.g. shuttle, mine winding gear, cattle); above the door coupled lancets with hoodmoulds, small chamfered windows to ringing chamber, single small arched belfry louvres, flanked by roundels, and set-back parapet with corner cops. Interior: laterally partitioned in 1973 making 2-storey assembly rooms in west end; galleries removed 1902, plaster removed 1929; moulded arches to chancel and organ house, and elaborate open-work roof trusses survive. History: closely connected with Hargreaves and Thursby families of Ormerod Hall, colliery proprietors and principal contributors to all stages of building.

Listing NGR: SD8763532401

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 184044

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing