STARBOROUGH CASTLE WALLS AND GARDEN HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1205666

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Statutory Address: STARBOROUGH CASTLE WALLS AND GARDEN HOUSE, MOOR LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of STARBOROUGH CASTLE WALLS AND GARDEN HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205666 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:38:56.

Location

Statutory Address: STARBOROUGH CASTLE WALLS AND GARDEN HOUSE, MOOR LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge (District Authority)

Parish: Dormansland

National Grid Reference: TQ 42607 44120

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 44SW LINGFIELD C.P. MOOR LANE

10/221 Starborough Castle walls and 11/6/58 Garden House

II*

Castle walls to moat and garden house. Walls circa 1431 or earlier, garden house constructed on older foundations and employing old materials in 1754. Converted into a billiard room in late C19. Moat walls of rough dressed stone rising just above ground level and enclosing a square mound 50 metres x 50 metres with round angle tower bases to inner wall. Garden house in north east corner of mound. Dressed ashlar walls with brick and rubblestone patches, part rendered, on inner face. Rectangular with diagonal offset angle buttresses, buttresses to centre of east and west sides and battlemented parapets. Angle spire finials with crockets, missing on south east and north east corners. One storey over older vaulted cellars. Angle bay window to centre of north side with one stone mullioned two-light window below and stone Y tracery in bay windows. Two similar windows to each of the east and west sides under flat hood mouldings. Remains of a door to south. Arched planked door in basement. Keystone stone dressed opening above with inscription above reading:-

"OBSCURO POSITUS LOCO LENI PERFRUAR OTIO" stone panels either side in moulded surrounds with crests to top half. Inscription to left reads "RESTITUIT JACOBUS BARROW, 1754" Inscription to right:- "MUNIVIT REGINALDUS DE COBHAM per LICENUIAM REGIS EDWARDI 3 tij DATE: 18 OCTOBRIS ANNO REG.15. DE MANSO KERNELLANDO 1342" to right. Central stone roundel above. Small steep open pediment with dog tooth band across base over gargoyle head. Remains of castle built by Reginald Lord Cobham, founder of the College in Lingfield, on the site of and incorporating earlier buildings, dismantled 1648. Derelict at time of re-survey.

V.C.H.: Surrey Vol. i) p.417, Vol. iv) pp. 302-6, 398-401. MANNING & BRAY : History of Surrey II p.347

Listing NGR: TQ4260744120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287463

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1912), 302-306
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1912), 398-401
Malden, H E , The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1902), 417
Manning, Owen , Bray, W, The History and Antiquities of the County of Surrey347

End of official listing