SCALA CINEMA

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205711
Date first listed:
06-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
SCALA CINEMA, PIMLICO

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCALA CINEMA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205711 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 19:05:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
SCALA CINEMA, PIMLICO

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Erewash (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 46439 41782

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/10/2012

SK 4641 NW 1774- /7/54 06.11.86

PIMLICO, ILKESTON (North side), Scala Cinema

GV II*

Cinema. 1913 by John Parsons and Sons of Bulwell. Constructed by Pegg and Bailey of Derby. Stock brick, the front block painted terracotta by Hathern. Welsh slate roof, single boiler chimney to west. Tall, rectangular hall with short gallery has small ancillary structures to west (originally shielded by buildings) and projecting foyer area to front. Frontispiece in Edwardian Classical style, utilitarian brick range behind. The frontispiece is a tripartite composition of gabled centre bay, flanked by canted bays. Banded rustication. The centre bay is filled by a large semi-circular headed arch, supported on Ionic columns the entablature and dentil cornice of which continue across the canted bays and along the return walls. The arch has a stepped keystone with swag and cartouche of a female figure in the apex of the gable. The canted bays have two-light square section mullion windows to each face and on the main face, beneath the sill, a panel with a swag. Tall attic/parapet with moulded stringcourse. Within the entrance arch is a half domed semi-circular recessed porch. The entablature and cornice continue around and the half dome has panels of applied decoration. The body of the auditorium is of stock brick, without windows, and with the east and west elevations broken up by panels of recessed brickwork. East side with full length timber queuing canopy on wrought-iron brackets. At northern end, exit door in painted stone surround. Projecting sound box to rear indicative that this was originally a silent cinema without a stage area on which to mount the c.1930 speaker equipment (ie. that it was never a cine-variety hall). Interior. Panelled foyer the full width of entrance with office in canted bay to right and dog-leg stairs with iron barley-sugar balustrade in canted bay to left. Central paybox probably late 1930s, contemporary with double entrance doors in similar wood veneer with chrome handles. Auditorium of seven bays with one-and-a-half bay balcony at rear. Original proscenium with pediment now set behind later free-standing screen. Barrel-vaulted ceiling with circular ventilation grilles and crossed by ribs with moulded fruit decoration. These continue on side walls as pilasters with Ionic capitals embellished with cherub heads. Between them plasterwork treated as panels, all with continuous heavy modillion cornice over. Gallery front elaborately treated with flowing cartouche mouldings. Gas secondary lighting survives at rear of hall. Original seating to front two-thirds of stalls.



Listing NGR: SK4643941782

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352257
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00746/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].