This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 1 TO 9 AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS AND GARDEN WALL TO SIDE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1 TO 9 AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS AND GARDEN WALL TO SIDE

List entry Number: 1205767

Location

CLIFTON DOWN
NUMBERS 1 TO 9 AND ATTACHED FRONT RAILINGS AND GARDEN WALL TO SIDE, 1-9, HARLEY PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379215

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5673SE CLIFTON DOWN, Clifton 901-1/7/740 (North side) 08/01/59 Nos.1-9 (Cons) Harley Place, attached front railings and garden wall to side (Formerly Listed as: CLIFTON DOWN Harley Place, Nos.1-9 (Cons))

GV II*

Terrace of 9 houses. 1788, partly altered c1840. Limestone ashlar with tooled Pennant ashlar basements, party wall stacks, and slate and pantile mansard roofs. Double-depth plan. Late Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. An irregularly-stepped terrace, Nos 2, 3, 6 & 7 set forward, articulated by pilasters to a thin string and cornice with small balls to the top cyma moulding, missing from No.2, and rusticated ground floor to a band; Nos 5, 8 & 9 not rusticated, possibly altered mid C19. Pairs of houses have paired semicircular-arched inner doorways with deeply-set doors and banded reveals, Nos 1-5 and 7 & 8 have metal batswing fanlights, No.6 teardrop fanlight, to 6-panel doors with raised upper panels, Nos 4-9 with cut out corners. Doorway to No.5 in a semicircular-arched recess, and rectangular recesses to the ground-floor windows, linked by an impost band. Nos 6 & 7 have rectangular recesses to the doorway and keyed incised voussoirs like the windows. No.8 is lower, with a ground-floor arcade of semicircular-arched recesses linked by an impost band, and 2 wrought-iron lantern brackets over the doorway. No.9 has a coped attic storey, a ground-floor arcade of semicircular-arched recesses, left-hand flat-headed doorway with a good rectangular overlight with central round and flanking lozenge metal glazing bars and a lantern; a large 3-light first-floor window set in a segmental-arched recess, with niches each side below round sunken panels and panel aprons; second-floor sill band, upper windows in rectangular recesses; balcony has mid C19 cast-iron railings with Greek Revival motifs, and second-floor basket balconies. Windows with 6/6-pane sashes, full-depth on the first-floor, with 9/9-pane sashes on No.4; 2 dormers. Tented first-floor balconies have cast-iron lattice railings and stanchions. Segmental-arched basement windows. Rear elevations have semicircular-arched stair sashes, Nos 2, 3 & 7 have bowed first-floor oriels. INTERIOR: entrance halls divided by semicircular arches, to rear open dogleg stairs with stick balusters and curtails, 6-panel doors, and panelled shutters. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron spear-headed basement area railings and gates with urn finials, and Pennant ashlar piers; squared, coursed Carboniferous limestone walls to front pavement, raised and curved round at E end with railings; red sandstone rubble wall extends approx 50m along Canynge Road. Shares details such as door surrounds with Beaufort Buildings (qv) on the opposite side of the Downs, and called Beaufort Buildings on Donnes' 1821 map. Possibly planned as a composed terrace with raised centre and end sections. (Donne: Plan of Bristol, Clifton and the Hotwells: Bristol: 1821-).

Listing NGR: ST5689373380

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 56893 73380

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205767 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 01:16:27.

End of official listing