TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205893

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, TALBOT SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:15:38.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, TALBOT SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Blackpool (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 30666 36342

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 33 NW BLACKPOOL TALBOT SQUARE

2/25 Town Hall 11.1. 1974 [formerly listed as Town Hall (excluding extension to rear)]

II

Town Hall, 1895-1900, by Rotts Son and Hennings. Brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. U-shape plan with receding wings. 3-storeys, right wing 2-storeys. Jacobean style. Symmetrical front of 5 bays with central tower; central 2-storey stone entrance porch in Tuscan order at ground floor, Ionic above, with segmental pediment, and balustrade with corner finials. Ground floor of stone with continuous entablature; four 6-light mullioned and transomed windows, the outer ones being shallow rectangular bays surmounted by corner finials on the entablature. 1st floor has similar windows, the outer ones being shallow bays with curved corners, and all have scrolled pediments in the entablature; 2nd floor has mullioned windows with sashes. Outer bays rise to stone gabled attics with niches, entablature, pediments, and finials; centre bay rises to clock tower of 2 stages, the lower (of brick) containing a window with stone segmental-pedimented architrave, and bearing a dentillated cornice surmounted by a stone belfry with coupled pilasters, cornice, and balustrade with finials. (This was originally topped by a tall fleche). Facade and right wing are hinged on a curved 2-storey stone bay with domical roof set in concave re-entrant above. Left wing: 3rd bay with arched stone entrance and corbelled 1st floor oriel, rises to square attic turret with stone cornice and parapet surmounted by finials with open scrolled brackets; 4th bay has tall round-headed and traceried 1st floor window, and a shaped stone gable with finials. Right wing: 2 storeys, the lower shops, the upper the Council Chamber with 4 tall oriels set in round arches, steeply pitched roof surmounted by belfry with domical lead cap; this wing ends with one 3-storey bay with nipped roof, dated 1896.

Listing NGR: SD3066636342

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183682

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing