This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WEAR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WEAR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1205912

Location

WEAR HOUSE, 8, PRINCE'S STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Truro

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 377528

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRURO

880-1/7/215 PRINCE'S STREET 30-JUL-93 TRURO (South side) 8 Wear House

II

Also Known As: 10, PRINCE'S STREET, TRURO Originally two shops with offices over, but now one shop. This building was constructed in around 1889 for a Mr Polkinhorn, with James Clemens being responsible for the masonry, and William J. Tippet for the carpentry to a design prepared by Silvanus Trevail. Brick with granite and freestone bands and dressings, and stucco details; dry Delabole slate roofs with gables onto the street; cast-iron ogee gutters. Rectangular plan. Jacobethan style. 3 storeys; 3 bays. Street front has pair of shopfronts (centre and left) and an elliptical-arched carriage opening on the right, articulated by rock-faced granite pilasters with their entablature breaking forward from the full-width moulded entablature with a 2-tier fascia. Shop fronts have round-headed lights. Large double doors of carriage doorway have raised and fielded panels. Stone-mullioned and transomed windows. First floor of 2:2:1 bays with tripartite Ipswich window with stepped entablature to each bay. Second floor has 2 wide bays surmounted by shaped gables, with triangular pediments and finials to left and plain parapet to right; finials between the bays; 4-light windows under gables have central fanlights surmounted by scrolled pediments; 2-light window over carriageway has triangular pediments. INTERIOR: shop altered C20, otherwise not inspected. Included for group value. Shown as No.10 Prince's Street on Ordnance Survey map.

Sources:- West Briton, 11th October 1888.

Listing NGR: SW8275644782

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 82759 44781

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205912 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 11:59:42.

End of official listing