OLD TOWN PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205935

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: 4, OLD TOWN

Statutory Address: OLD TOWN PLACE, 5, OLD TOWN

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD TOWN PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205935 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 16:08:15.

Location

Statutory Address: 4, OLD TOWN

Statutory Address: OLD TOWN PLACE, 5, OLD TOWN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Grid Reference: SP 19972 54536

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP1954NE OLD TOWN 604-1/9/146 (South West side) 25/10/51 Nos.4 AND 5 Old Town Place (5) (Formerly Listed as: OLD TOWN (South West side) Nos.4 AND 5 William and Mary Hotel)

GV II

Two houses. c1690 (though Bearman suggests 1760). Brick with ashlar and stucco dressings; hipped tile roof with rear brick stacks. 2 storeys with attic; symmetrical 5-window range with narrow centre breaking forward. Double-depth plan. Georgian style. Top dentilled cornice. Round-headed entrance has fielded-panelled pilaster trips, unusual brackets to cornice, and archivolt with key; fanlight with thick glazing bars over 6-fielded-panel door; lantern above. Windows have sills with painted brick aprons, and rubbed brick flat arches with keys over 12-pane sashes, horned to 1st floor; 3 pedimented dormers, the centre one with C20 pediment replacing segmental pediment, and 2-light small-paned casements. Left return has projection under hipped roof; 2-storey rear wing. INTERIOR noted as having open-well staircase with slender turned balusters. Single-storey, 2-window, wing with attic to right (No.4) has top cornice; entrance in brick forward break has rubbed brick flat arch over 4-flush-panel door. Windows have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches over 4:12:4-pane tripartite sash to left, 12-pane sash to right; 2 hipped dormers with 2-light C20 small-paned casements. Timber-framed gable and entrance to rear. Until 1855 the Town Offices; an hotel for much of the C20. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 46; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 137-8).

Listing NGR: SP1997254536

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366322

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 46
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 137-8

End of official listing