SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 58

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205985
Date first listed:
14-May-1985
Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 58

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 58
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205985 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 19:43:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL BRIDGE NUMBER 58

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Loggerheads
National Grid Reference:
SJ 69354 31568

Details

SJ 63 SE LOGGERHEADS C.P SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL Tyrley 11/158 Bridge No.58 (Holling's Bridge)

II

Canal bridge. C.1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers. Rough-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings; parapet re-built in late e C20 red brick. Narrow elliptical arch with voussoirs and imposts, flat string course; revetment walls to north and south with circular cast iron tie plates. This stretch of canal formerly formed part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. V.C.H., II (1967), p.295; Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1966), Pp.183-9.

Listing NGR: SJ6935431568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362640
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hadfield, C, The Canals of the West Midlands, (1966), 183-9
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1908)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04624/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].