This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1206006

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, GORGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Wolverhampton

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378421

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SJ99SW GORGE ROAD 895-1/7/73 (North side) Church of St Mary

II

Church. 1872; later addition 1911. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; C20 tile roof. Early English style. Chancel has gabled north organ loft and south vestry; nave has lean-to aisles and north and south porches. Coped gables and offset buttresses. Chancel has east window of 5 stepped lancets under hood mould; organ loft of 1911 has lancet; vestry has 3 lancets and lean-to projection to right with entrance and ashlar stack; 5-bay nave has short paired lancets to clerestory; west end has 3 traceried lancets below wheel window with pointed hood; gable cross; single lancets to aisles; aisles have triple lancets, but pairs to east bays; gabled porches with pointed entrances and paired doors. INTERIOR: arch-braced roofs; chancel arch with foliate capitals to imposts; 2-bay arcade to organ loft; 5-bay nave arcades on round piers. Traceried panelling to reredos; enriched timber pulpit on stone base; eagle lectern on pinnacled base; panelled screen to organ loft, 1908-15, has painted angels. Good C19 and C20 stained glass, including Arts and Crafts style glass by A.E & P.E. Lemmon of Bromsgrove.

Listing NGR: SO9283394185

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 92833 94185

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 07:02:34.

End of official listing