CHURCHYARD GATES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206025

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD GATES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCHYARD GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:54:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCHYARD GATES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury (District Authority)

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Grid Reference: SO 89008 32486

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TEWKESBURY

SO8932 CHURCH STREET, Abbey Precincts 859-1/6/377 (East side) 04/03/52 Churchyard gates (Formerly Listed as: ABBEY PRECINCTS Churchyard Gates NW of Abbey)

GV II*

Entrance gates to path from Abbey N porch. Probably 1750, restored 1959. Attributed to William Edney, and erected by Lord Gage. Wrought iron. Fine pair of gates with overthrow set to ornamental open square-section piers and with short side panels. The cambered overthrow carries a painted shield of arms above an interlaced monogram, and a plaque with a head in low relief. Piers carry urn finials, and swept-down supporters are stopped to standards with finials. Dyde (1798) records that "In this year (1750) the church walk ws paved by subscription. The iron gates at the entrance into the church (viz. the north porch) were given by Lord Gage.... Those next the street, and the pallisadoes, were given by Wm. Dowdeswell Esq." In the great restoration of the later C19 the churchyard level was lowered, to reduce dampness in the aisle wall, and at this time the Gage gates were moved to their present position. The Dowdeswell gates are not accounted for. (Dyde W: History and Antiquities of Tewkesbury: Tewkesbury: 1790-).

Listing NGR: SO8900732483

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376735

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dyde, W, History and Antiquities of Tewkesbury, (1790)

End of official listing