THE CITADEL, NORTH ENTRANCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206120
Date first listed:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
THE CITADEL, NORTH ENTRANCE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CITADEL, NORTH ENTRANCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 11:45:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CITADEL, NORTH ENTRANCE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69062 73874

Details

PORTLAND

SY6873 THE CITADEL, The Verne 969-1/3/172 (South side) The Citadel, North Entrance

GV II*

Entrance to former military citadel, now prison. Dated 1880, possibly from the office of Capt. E Crossman, RE, general designer of The Citadel. Portland ashlar. Bold elliptical moulded arch set between broad plain abutments with plinth and small recessed gun slit, and under heavy attic course on roll-moulding; return each side to main retaining and abutment walls of The Citadel. Above the crown of the arch a high relief carved Royal Arms. Inner order of moulded arch on responds and with pair of iron gates and side railings opens to barrel-vaulted section with 3 cross ribs, then lower segmental moulded arch with square head and spandrels with VR 1880 beneath 4 recessed vertical gun slits. This gives to long barrel-vaulted tunnel through which the road climbs to the inner arch which is semi-circular with heavily rusticated quoins and voussoirs set in rock-faced squared stone under heavy roll-mould parapet; from the E side a long flight of plain stone steps between ashlar walls to weathered copings descends to roadway from main Citadel level.

Listing NGR: SY6906273874

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382026
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].