CLOCK TOWER, AND 4 IRON LAMPS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206131
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1975
Statutory Address:
CLOCK TOWER, AND 4 IRON LAMPS, CHILDWALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLOCK TOWER, AND 4 IRON LAMPS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 18:32:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLOCK TOWER, AND 4 IRON LAMPS, CHILDWALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 39206 89428

Details

SJ 3989 CHILDWALL ROAD L15

31/274 Clock tower, and 4 iron lamps 14.3.75 G.V. II

Clock Tower. 1884 by Sir J.A.Picton, in memory of his wife who died in 1879. Stone. 3 stages with rusticated base on 3 steps, 1st stage has quoin strips. Plaques to 4 sides with memorial inscription and verse; band over, and round-arched recesses with roundels above; archivolts and keys. Consoled cornice over 1st stage, with urns at angles. 2nd stage has recessed, curved corners with round-headed windows, with consoled sills, flat pilasters and keyed archivolts; frieze and cornice. 3rd stage also has recessed rounded corners, 4-face clock with consoled segmental open pediments. Lead cupola with short swept spire above. 4 iron lamps at angles, with lantern tops, and dolphins entwined at base.

Listing NGR: SJ3920689428

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213898
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2006
Reference: IOE01/16119/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].