OLD MADELEY MANOR (REMAINS OF)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206157

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-May-1985

Statutory Address: OLD MADELEY MANOR (REMAINS OF), MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD MADELEY MANOR (REMAINS OF)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206157 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 05:53:38.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD MADELEY MANOR (REMAINS OF), MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)

Parish: Madeley

National Grid Reference: SJ 77299 42294

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 74 SE MADELEY C.P. MANOR ROAD (off west side)

5/56 Old Madeley Manor (remains of) (formerly listed as Old 2/12/52 Manor House (remains)

II

Manor house,remains of. medieval probably C15 or early C16. Coursed red sandstone.Only a fragment of walling survives to a maximum height of just over 3m. This contains part of the springing of an external round-headed doorway with portcullis groove and chamfered arch; to the south a window at ground level (perhaps formerly lighting a cellar)and remains of a large fireplace with knife sharpening grooves to one side.Several blocks of dressed masonry lie nearby. Impressive fishponds or moats lie immediately to the north and west,and in the adjoining fields are further extensive earthworks, some of which (to the north-east) may have been associated with the garden of the house. The house itself, of which there is an engraving in Plotfs History of Staffordshire was partly timber framed. Scheduled Ancient Monument; some renovation to the existi.kg stonework was carried out in 1980.

Listing NGR: SJ7729942294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 362668

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Plot, R, The Natural History of Staffordshire, (1686)

End of official listing