GILSTEAD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206194

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: GILSTEAD HALL, COXTIE GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GILSTEAD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:14:05.

Location

Statutory Address: GILSTEAD HALL, COXTIE GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Brentwood (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 55148 95597

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRENTWOOD

TQ59NE COXTIE GREEN ROAD, Pilgrims Hatch 723-1/5/243 (East side) 21/10/58 Gilstead Hall (Formerly Listed as: COXTIE GREEN ROAD, Coxtie Green Gilstead Hall)

II

Formerly known as: Gilstead Hall South Weald Common. House, now flats. 1726. Red brick, Flemish bond, roof C20 flat tiles. T-shaped plan. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3 chimney-stacks, one on each end wall and one at junction of bays 3/4 (from N). W front elevation, 9 bays, central 3 articulated forward. Parapet with sunk panels over windows, cyma moulded cornice, 2 moulded string courses between floors, upper cyma, lower hollow. At time of listing all windows were being replaced by C20 copies, sashes, glazing bars. Window heads have gauged brick voussoirs. Ground floor 8 window, all 3x4 panes. Central projecting brick and timber porch, segment headed with dentils, rectangular fanlight and side lights with small leaded panes of green glass. Door has 6 fielded panels, inner doorway has semicircular fan-light. Porch sides have one fixed light each with glazing bars, 3x3 panes, above, one wide light. First floor, 9 windows, 3x4 panes, second floor, 9 windows 3x2 panes. To S of house is first floor continuation under shaped parapet with stone coping, 2 sash windows, 2x4 panes. Rear, E elevation, similar to front but irregular with projecting wing towards N end. Parapet plain, cornice and string courses undecorated. Projecting wing. Ground floor, 2 sash windows, 2x4 panes, Regency blind-box surrounds, pedimented doorway between windows with large fan-light with glazing bars, 3x2 panes and C20 door with upper glazing, glazing bars, 3x2 panes and 2 flush panels below. To S C20 door with 6 fielded panels. First floor, 3 window openings and large staircase window opening with semicircular head, window sill set well below the others at this level. Second floor, 4 sash windows, 3x2 panes. N end bay, receding from projection and on line of main block has ground-floor blocked window, first and second floors original window apertures on each floor reduced in C20 work to take new windows. S end, receding to line of main block, Ground floor, set forward as separate unit in line with projecting wing and with hipped C20 felted roof - 4 sash windows, 2x4 panes. Main house, first floor, 2 window apertures, second floor, 3 sash windows, 3x2 panes, ground floor has projection to S in service court with hipped slated roof. S end elevation. Ground floor service buildings projecting and continuing towards E are not to be included in the listing. First floor, blind window and one window aperture, second floor one blind window and one sash 3x2 panes and stone panel between inscribed I.W Ano 1726. Parapet with central stack with stone coping and a sunken panel each side. Second later stack to back. N end elevation. Main house block and projecting wing to E set back one bay. 2 stacks, one central to each unit, simple cornice and string courses. Ground floor plain. First floor 3 blind windows, 2:1, one window aperture to W end. Second floor, 4 blind windows, 2:2. Parapet has sunk panels on principal block. INTERIOR is being refurbished and subdivided into flats. Entrance hall has fielded panelled walls and chimney-piece with stone surround. Stone paved floor with diagonally set small black squares on white background and central star pattern. Oak, dogleg stair with open strings, 3 banisters to each tread and carved brackets and shaped handrail. Corinthian newel posts, ornamental banisters alternating with twist and flute decorations, panelled dado. Ground floor room of projecting wing has fielded panelling and dentilled cornice. The exterior brickwork is very uniform and has fine jointing. The contrast between the total uniformity of the front elevation and the irregularity of windows and door grouping on the rear projecting wing suggests that the wing is an afterthought or possibly a rebuilding of a structure that was already on site and was adapted to the new front block.

Listing NGR: TQ5514895597

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 373410

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing