20, CHURCH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206265

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: 20, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 20, CHURCH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206265 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 21:25:45.

Location

Statutory Address: 20, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hereford

National Grid Reference: SO 51011 39882

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEREFORD

SO5139NW CHURCH STREET 683-1/7/127 (East side) 10/06/52 No.20

GV II*

House. Mostly C18 brick skin to C14 core. Brick; timber-frame; slate(?) roof; coursed sandstone rubble stack with brick chimney. 3-bay unit, with later additions. INTERIOR incorporates medieval hall, (c1350-1400) with crown post roof, (the only one in Hereford), and 2 original ogee-moulded entrance doors. South wall incorporates at first floor level an extremely well-preserved original window consisting of 4 cusped ogee-arched headed lights. Directly below on the ground floor is an equally well-preserved 4-light window of less ornate design but of the same period. Graffiti on brick west gable reads, "Daniel Watts 1726". In the C19 and early C20, the house was occupied by the Cathedral Organist, and was much frequented by Sir Edward Elgar, who commenced several major works in a specially designated "composing room". Currently undergoing extensive restoration. (Shoesmith R: Elgar Associations; Wulfstan-Atkins E: The Elgar Atkins friendship: 1984-; City of Hereford Archaeology Report Series 82: July: 1990-; RCHME).

Listing NGR: SO5101139882

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 372307

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931)
Shoesmith, R , Elgar Associations
Wulfstan, A E , The Elgar Atkins friendship, (1984)
'City of Hereford Archaeology Committee Report' in July, , Vol. 82, (1990)

End of official listing