IPSWICH AND EAST SUFFOLK HOSPITAL (ENTRANCE BLOCK)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206298

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1972

Statutory Address: IPSWICH AND EAST SUFFOLK HOSPITAL (ENTRANCE BLOCK), ANGELSEA ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of IPSWICH AND EAST SUFFOLK HOSPITAL (ENTRANCE BLOCK)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206298 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 15:46:03.

Location

Statutory Address: IPSWICH AND EAST SUFFOLK HOSPITAL (ENTRANCE BLOCK), ANGELSEA ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TM 16046 45246

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1260 ANGLESEA ROAD (North Side)

Ipswich and East Suffolk Hospital (Entrance Block) TM 1645 7/11

II

2. The original, part of the hospital is the centre block of 1836 which closes the vista to Berners Street. The original architect was John Whitling but there have been many C19 and later alterations and additions. It is a grey gault brick building with a parapet and moulded brier cornice. 3 storeys. 5 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in plain reveals, with stucco cornice lintels to the lower storeys. The windows are separated by wide brick pilasters. A central stucco Ionic portico projects on front with 2 pairs of plain columns rising through 2 storeys above a balustraded podium with a central entrance door approached by stone steps. Above the portico the centre part breaks forward slightly on tile second storey with a brick open pediment and a central semi-circular headed window. The centre block is flanked by 2 storeyed wings of similar date, each of one window range, with parapet, and a stucco cornice which is carried across the front and around the portico. The wings are framed by pilasters.

Listing NGR: TM1604645246

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 275385

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing