REMAINS OF PRIEST'S HOUSE, ABOUT 8 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF THE WEST END OF ST LEONARD'S CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206304

Date first listed: 20-May-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Feb-1993

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF PRIEST'S HOUSE, ABOUT 8 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF THE WEST END OF ST LEONARD'S CHURCH, HEIGHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF PRIEST'S HOUSE, ABOUT 8 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF THE WEST END OF ST LEONARD'S CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 02:25:10.

Location

Statutory Address: REMAINS OF PRIEST'S HOUSE, ABOUT 8 METRES NORTH NORTH WEST OF THE WEST END OF ST LEONARD'S CHURCH, HEIGHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes (District Authority)

Parish: Newhaven

National Grid Reference: TQ 45422 02578

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWHAVEN

TQ4502 HEIGHTON ROAD, Denton 769-1/5/20 Remains of Priest's House, about 8m 20/05/49 NNW of the West end of St Leonard's Church (Formerly Listed as: HEIGHTON ROAD, Denton Remains of the Priest's House in NW corner of churchyard adj Parish Hall)

GV II

Remains of Priest's house, now walls, sections of which form a garage (not included). Circa 1300, incorporated into a garage early-mid C20. Knapped flint, Caen stone dressings. Plan: a 10m length of wall, about 4m high, with a parallel length of wall to the N of lesser extent, garage between at W end. The southern wall facing onto the churchyard has the remains of a trefoil-headed lancet window at first floor level, and remains of a square-headed opening below to the E. The western end of the wall obscured by ivy at time of survey (May 1989) and generally in poor condition. A number of medieval buildings stood in the vicinity of the churchyard and were swept away during the C18. (Horsfield T W: A History of Sussex: 1827-).

Listing NGR: TQ4542202578

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 374204

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Horsfield, TW , A History of Sussex, (1827)

End of official listing